Health & Government
Over the years we have accumulated an immense knowledge and experience base relating to clinical negligence and general liability matters for NSW Government agencies. We believe that our legal expertise and knowledge in this area is unparalleled.
The Health and Government Practice Group was created following Curwoods Lawyers acquisition of GILD Insurance Litigation Pty Ltd (GILD), a subsidiary of Suncorp, on 21 September 2012. Led by Francesca Menniti, the Group adds depth and breadth to Curwoods Lawyers’ knowledge and experience in the areas of professional indemnity and general insurance litigation. The Health and Government Practice Group shares a history with NSW Government and the NSW Treasury Managed Fund that exceeds 20 years. Over that time we have acted for NSW Government agencies including NSW Ministry of Health in:
- Coronial inquests and inquiries in the Coroner’s Court of NSW, many of which have significant political sensitivity and legal complexity.
- Civil claims in the District and Supreme Court of NSW, many of which are complex and involve catastrophic injury. We have acted in clinical negligence claims regarding antenatal testing, wrongful birth, cerebral palsy and other types of catastrophic injury.
- Breach of privacy and anti-discrimination claims in the Administrative Decisions Tribunal
- Appeals to the Court of Appeal of NSW and the High Court of Australia
We have developed an awareness and understanding of the workings of NSW Government and the interplay among its various agencies, authorities and corporations. We have a demonstrated ability to apply NSW Government policies and directives in a meaningful way. We have worked alongside agencies, including NSW Ministry of Health, advising on significant policy and legislative change and developments as they have occurred. This experience is brought to bear on every matter in which we act.
In partnership with our clients we ensure:
- Cost effectiveness
- Successful outcomes
- Prompt, authoritative and appropriate legal advice
- Consistent and prudent case estimates
- Achievement of early resolution.
Our success lies in our people. We can proudly offer our clients access to the professional expertise of more than 30 specialist lawyers, many of whom have dedicated a large portion of their careers representing clients in a variety of areas of insurance litigation, particularly for NSW Government agencies.